Saturday, September 28, 2013

T.G.I.V.F.

Thank Goodness for Invitro-Fertilization

The other day I was in an elevator with a brand new mother and her week old baby boy.  I believe they were on their way to the official  1st week check up at the pediatrician.  I gazed into her stroller, at that precious new life and said, " isn't it just the greatest thing ever?!"  I was a bit shocked when her very quick and snappy response was, "no, you know what was great? Sleeping."   

Maybe my husband and I lived in la la land during Harlow's first week of life, but I strongly remember my reaction being way different than this poor gal. Perhaps it is because we waited so long to have my daughter. Or maybe it was because she was somewhat scientifically made with the amazing process of IVF.  It could be because we ran on happy fumes for months at the realization that we had a baby and she was healthy and real and ours.  Whatever the reason was...I must say on this Friday morning, TGI(V)F.  

I can clearly remember the years of my husband and I struggling to conceive our precious baby. It's strange how you spend a large portion of your life praying for your period to come and then spend the next section praying it doesn't.  That little pregnancy stick holds all the meaning and plans for your future and after a very long 3 minutes...it's all over. Add to my previous list:  perhaps we were over the moon those first few weeks because for too long the tests told us no and then ONE day it said something different. 

Regardless, this isn't a post about poor me and my infertility. It's about IVF and how it changed my life forever. 

Sometimes I wonder if we had of gotten pregnant easier; if we had one of those "let's start trying tomorrow And then two weeks later volia...I was pregnant" moments, maybe I would take all those things in the beginning for granted.  But we didn't and I didn't. Even when I had my face in my hands, crying for the zillionth time because it still wasn't my turn to be a mom, I knew one day I would get that chance.  

Every moment means a little more to me because there was always that chance that I would never get to experience it. Harlow has gas...it okay because I'm over the moon to give her gas drops and hold her.  Harlow is throwing a fit in Kroger...it's fine because at least I have a baby in my cart.  Sounds cliche and maybe a bit cheesy, but now that she is here, I am so thankful that we had to endure IVF to get our perfectly precious little girl. 

Don't get me wrong.  Sleep is amazing, but so is Harlow.  Now don't judge me if I look frazzled next time you see me 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing Julie! Kudos to you and your husband for enduring this hurdle together. Not everyone is meant to be a parent, but some of us (child-less me knows I will be one in the future), cannot imagine life otherwise. Your daughter is gorgeous and I wish you all the best :)

    Maria

    ReplyDelete