Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Monkey See, Monkey Do

A 4 year old boy fell into a Gorilla exhibit at the Cincinnati Zoo and suddenly everyone is a primate/parental expert.  

Let me start by admitting that when I first heard this story, I was quick to judge. My first initial response was to blame the mother for not taking care of her child.  "Where was his mom?!"  "Why wasn't see watching him?!"  "Mother of the year".  

I think most of us said or felt that way.  And I think to some aspect, there is some truth there.  However, I've always tried to play Devil's Advocate in these situations and the more I learned of this scenario and more I heard from eye witnesses and animal experts, the guiltier I felt for rushing to my original judgement.

I can see both sides.  The choice to save the child and unfortunately, kill the gorilla and I can also understand why people are upset that a wild animal, who was already held in captivity, was sacrificed for acting like, well, a wild animal. 

There are so many details and points to evaluate in this terrible event.    

Let's just start with the gorilla habitat and the security breach. Some people are saying that the exhibit was unsafe, as a toddler was able to pass the barriers and make his was into the area. Ok, I can see that.  However, I feel our society has gotten so entitled and so in need of bigger and better stimulation, that a more natural and open exhibit was needed to keep people interested. Think about it.   It may sound ridiculous but the movie Jurassic Park is a great example.  We need more and more or we get bored. At some point, everyone pushes the limits to make a dollar and stay relevant.  I sincerely hope we never actually attempt this with dinosaurs. Kidding. Unless it happens. Then I'm as serious as a heart attack. 

 Let's address the mother in this situation as she is by far catching the most heat. I will say that when I first read this article, I instantly blamed her. Which is sad. I'm a mom. No one is perfect and toddlers are hard work.  The other day Harlow and I went to the donut shop and I turned away for TWO seconds to grab her a milk and just like that she was behind the counter, helping the lady serve pastries.   Now, I totally understand that slipping behind a donut counter and falling into a gorilla exhibit are not the same...but the point remains that kids are fast. And sneaky. And don't listen.  Imagine being at the zoo with two young children and one keeps saying how he wants to go swim in the gorilla's moat. Mom says no, obviously, but the toddler won't take no for an answer.  Do you know how much useless junk I've purchased for my daughter, simply because I didn't feel like arguing with her anymore?  The toddler ran away from her, while she tended to the younger sibling and quickly disappeared into the crowd. It's happened to me before. It's happened to you too.  Maybe she should have had a closer eye on him. But it wasn't like she was dangling her child over the exhibit and lost her grip. 

I'm still a bit confused about the witnesses who saw this toddler slip past the barriers that didn't grab him. Apparently one woman assumed the lady standing next to her was the boy's mother and therefore assumed the situation was under control. Once she realized it wasn't, it was too late.  I go back and forth with this as a part of me thinks, why didn't she grab him and then find his mother?  But then I'm reminded the world we now live in and how we have to be super sensitive about every little thing. If the lady would have snatched the child up and walked him around to find his parent, would the mother have been thankful or would she be livid at the lady for stepping in?  Can't you see it on the news now?  Two women got into an altercation at the zoo.  It's sad. It's ridiculous. But it's the truth. 

Now let's address all the primate experts. People all over the world are suddenly Gorilla experts and activists. Some say the gorilla was protecting the boy. Some say he was attacking him.  Some say the gorilla's body language showed signs of aggression. Some say he was playing with the child. You know what I know about gorillas?  Not a whole lot. They are big.  And black. And hairy and I think they like bananas.  I don't know their behaviors or lifestyles.  People should stop acting like they know.  Even the guy who lived amongst gorillas for many years doesn't know.  He probably has a better idea than we do, but he isn't a gorilla and cannot fully understand. Even celebs are now voicing their opinions about how the gorilla died because people have no brains. Hmm.  The people saying that do not have children of their own.  Was he protecting the toddler? Maybe. And maybe not. 

Killing the gorilla to save a child, was that right?  I know PETA and animal enthusiasts all over will say no.  Why must the primate die because a human came into his area?  I see that.  I get how it wasn't the animal's fault that a child came into his home and he shouldn't be faulted for acting like a wild animal. He is a wild animal. In captivity. I've watched the videos. I wasn't there. It was hard to tell if the animal was playing or being aggressive. All I know is it was scary to watch. 

 I think it's so very sad that an animal had to be killed in this situation. The gorilla was displaying it's natural instincts.  How can he be punished for that?  I get it.  But for just one second, close your eyes and imagine it was YOUR baby in that exhibit.  I know, I know, YOU would never let that happen to your child. You're amazing. And a perfect parent. But imagine if for whatever reason, your child was suddenly inside the gorilla habitat, being drug around by a 400 lb animal. Imagine the pure terror you would feel.  The instant guilt you would carry forever. And tell me you would choose the animal over your baby. You can't. You wouldn't.  

I love animals.  I have an annual pass to the Dallas Zoo and take my 3 year old often.  I would like to think that she is always right beside me, but she is a toddler. And I am human.  I hate that this animal was killed due to this incident.  It's not fair.  But I know that if my child's life appeared in danger, I would have wanted the same actions to be taken.  Selfish of me?  You may think so, but I find it hard to believe that ANY parent would plead to save the gorilla over their child.   

Now here comes the backlash. 

No comments:

Post a Comment